[MUD-Dev] UDP Revisted

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Wed Oct 17 12:20:19 CEST 2001

From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

> Actually my current implementation is 'in-order' on the reliable
> side. I put incomming messages into an input buffer, but the app
> only gets fed them when they are in-order with no gaps. I think
> its quite important to have this property as I want things like
> chat messages to appear in the order they were sent to
> you. Frankly the amount of traffic in the reliable channel should
> be dwarfed by the non-reliable.

> The non-reliable channel is not in order.

Er, then I truly do not understand why you don't just use TCP.

Good point about the chat messages though.

If you've implemented ALL the features of TCP though, then why
aren't you just using TCP?  Brian mentioned sync issues, but there's
no reason that TCP packets and UDP packets couldn't get put into a
single container based on timestamp.  And most of the sync issues
are caused by the in-order requirement anyway, I'd think.

Unless, of course, you've looked at the TCP implementation, decided
it sucked, and thought you could do better.  That's certainly a
valid reason.  But if you implement all the same features, you have
all the same problems.

Not criticizing, just trying to understand. :)