[MUD-Dev] Procedural content generation

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Oct 16 17:09:13 CEST 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Freeman, Jeff wrote:

> I'm not sure how I feel about that assertion, as I tend to think
> the Real World [tm] was "procedurally generated", and yet it seems
> to be a lot of fun to explore anyway (considering how much time
> Human Beings have spent doing just that).

I think someone earlier made the (good) point that all we can say is
that right now, procedurally generated universes are boring. Earth
is pretty darn interesting, and was procedurally generated, as you
say. Of course, if I were paying $10/month to play Earth, I'd want
to have some words with the dev team. What's up with AIDS, for
instance? That's just bad design if you ask me. And don't even get
me started on meat spoiling...

--matt