[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Comparison (UO, EQ, AC, AO, DAoC)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Sun Oct 14 21:25:18 CEST 2001

Dave Rickey writes:

> Our QA process was pure blasphemy: Everyone was expected to track
> and fix their own bugs.

I find it remarkably scary that this is considered blasphemy, even
said tongue in cheek as I assume it is.  I started my career at DEC,
and while there, we had very strict responsibilities.  As a
developer, you were responsible for coding and testing your area of
functionality to make sure that it worked.  You knew the boundary
conditions, you knew the mainstream scenarios, you knew the
performance expectations/requirements, etc.  When I moved to
Microsoft, I was aghast at the casual attitude of many engineers
about writing code shoddily and then assuming that testing would
pick up the bugs.  It's the kind of thing that makes you fall out of
your chair.

Thanks for the description of how you tackled development of Dark
Age of Camelot.  I continue to hear good things about the game and
the team.

JB