[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun Oct 14 15:43:59 CEST 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:

> It certainly provides drama, but does it provide a good story? Is
> the story the dominating aspect here?  (ack, I dismissed this goal
> in class today, as involvement is more important than providing a
> good story in MUDs, but forget that for a moment :) Can
> time-limited sport games in general provide the kind of progress
> you would like to have in a good story?  I guess some sports can,
> for instance, running, biking, downhill skiing and so forth do
> provide some opportunities for creating an interesting path to be
> followed. Unfortunately there is probably more interaction and
> freedom in (european) football, so... Well...

Absolutely. That is why people are sports fanatics. Their experience
isn't one of sets of discrete games played for a couple hours. The
follow stories that last for years or decades (why else would anyone
follow the Cubs?) They check ESPN.com for the latest news on their
favourite characters, and participate by endless discussion of the
most trivial (to an outsider) details of the story.=20

--matt