[MUD-Dev] Content authorship

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 10:33:47 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <olag at ifi.uio.no>

> Hmm... I've said this before and will say it again, it does not
> entirely depend on what IS, but the agency we assign to it, i.e. the
> implied authorship.

>       Heat.
>       Green flowers.
>       White pain.
>       Destruction.

> Assume that the above text was written by:

>   1. your girlfriend

>   2. a simple random poem generator program

> The authorship clearly matters, a lot.

No, that's a sweeping generalization that isn't necessarily
true. I've noticed that a lot of scientists and/or highly logical
people tend to say the authorship doesn't matter, whereas many
literary people say it does.  Personally, to me there is no
difference between 1 and 2 - I would (and in similar situations have
done) say that I think its rubbish either way (if thats what I
thought based purely on an evaluation of the text).

It strikes me as being similar to the great question about whether a
landscape can actively cause feelings and thoughts in people, or
whether people merely react and respond to their perceptions and
generate their own feelings and thoughts as a reaction. The Romantic
poets believed the former; I still find it hard to agree, although
after studying them I could at least appreciate their
viewpoint. Just as I can appreciate your viewpoint - but I still
think the authorship doesn't matter!

Adam M