[MUD-Dev] Procedural content generation

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Fri Oct 12 20:57:12 CEST 2001

At 01:26 AM 10/12/01 -0700, John Buehler wrote:

> Perhaps you consider this a trivial case of your third option, but
> how about procedurally creating the world and then putting in
> exceptions?

Hmmm, the best way I can describe the difference is: imagine the
difference between splattering paint then hand dabbing some color
vs. splattering paint, dabbing some color then smearing it all
around.  I want areas that influence their surroundings instead of
just standing out.  I want to affect the noise, not just stand out
in it.

> I see no reason why procedural creation of entire worlds wouldn't
> work just fine once we have enough experience with the technique.
> I mean, before fractal terrain who would have thought that such a
> thing was possible.  Now we have wave systems and other techniques
> on top of that.

You can convincingly procedurally create the _geometry_ of a world
or star system.  That's easy.  But making it all fit together in a
greater framework -- specifically, socially and politically and
economically -- is the hard part.

Brian