[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Oct 11 07:00:18 CEST 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Lee Sheldon wrote:

> I've just returned from a small conference where we discussed
> storytelling in games, both solo and multiplayer, and one of many
> good discussions touched on the storytelling that surrounds
> sports.  The fans interact with the players by shouting at them,
> and getting waves or various other hand gestures in return.  And
> everyone, even the players, create a drama-like storyline as the
> game progresses in the best tradition of emergent storytelling.

Definitely, and it goes beyond simple intra-game storytelling. I'm
not into it personally, but my best friend is a poet and writer who
is fanatical about sports, and it's definitely because of the
overarching storylines. Following the drama of a player's career
over time can be quite dramatic (think Jordan: sank winning shot in
first NCAA championship. Shot what SHOULD have been the last shot of
his career to win his 6th NBA championship. Of course, he's going to
ruin a great story now, the bastard.)

> Can you give me some examples of artists I may have heard of?  For
> example, I have no idea if Jackson Pollack studied art or just
> stepped in a bucket of paint one day by accident, and hit a canvas
> while he was shaking his boot off.  But then he didn't work as a
> graphic designer, did he?  His work was just incorporated into
> graphic design.  Anybody know?

Pollock left California before finishing high school to study in New
York under Thomas Hart Benton. Pollock, predictably, did not start
off tossing paint on canvases. He began by studying the basics, etc.

--matt