[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

J Aitken djaitken at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 9 16:03:13 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <olag at ifi.uio.no>
> rayzam wrote:

>> Actually, motivation in humans consists of performing an action,
>> often without knowing why, and then rationalizing it
>> afterwards. Or changing our beliefs based on the action we
>> performed. Motivation on the level you're talking about is either
>> hindsight, or repetition.

> This doesn't really make sense to me, maybe you have a reference.
> If I am motivated to apply for school because I want to become a
> movie director, how is that related to what you just wrote?
> Anyway, there is no single model of motivation, just like there is
> no single model or ontology for emotions...

Its a radical behaviourist perspective on human motivation, and is
not supported by many psychologists these days as a complete
explanation for human behaviour, although its certainly true for
_some_ situations.  If you want to know more, do a web search on
Skinner and Radical Behaviorism and you'll find something I'm sure.

J. Aitken