[MUD-Dev] New MMP Networking Architecture

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 19:26:16 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Sheldon" <linearno at gte.net>

> Interesting Announcement:

>   Ann Arbor, MI - October 2, 2001 - Cybernet Systems, an Ann
>   Arbor-based research and development firm, today announced the
>   availability of a new massive multi-player networking
>   architecture that enables developers to create online games in
>   which tens of thousands of players can simultaneously interact
>   in the same environment.

> www.openskies.net/news/networkrelease.shtml

> Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Having read all their stuff, and looked at the technology, I'd say
its not as interesting as they make it sound; my impression from
what they are saying publicly is that they are merely rehashing some
pretty old ideas from wide area network multimedia stream
distribution, wrapping it up as "applicable to MMOGs" and trying to
patent it. Will check out the patent when we can (they are potential
competition to our work) but based on their "white paper" I'm rather
disappointed by the disparity between the marketing hype and the
reality.

Very brief summary of what they are saying: You set up a
geographically distributed set of servers linked by a high bandwith
connection, and where connections are being made between widely
distributed clients in a non-peer-to-peer arrangement, pass them
through this server-server network, and filter them before letting
them leave the network, so that individual clients don't have to
receive all the streams from all the other clients.

They are also rejecting email from the @yahoo.com email domain
(tried to ask them for more details, licensing etc):

  [quote]
  Message from  yahoo.com.
  Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

  <openskies-info at cybernet.com>:
  Connected to 192.245.33.47 but sender was rejected.
  Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Access denied
  [/quote]

Adam M