[MUD-Dev] Request for ideas

Ian Collyer i.collyer at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 4 23:07:48 CEST 2001

holding99 at mindspring.com wrote:

> One concept I would like to see challenged is that a closed
> ecosystem cannot be created such that players will not destroy
> said ecosystem by killing anything that moves.

> Not that I have any ideas to help you proceed. :)

There are two problems which prevent a closed ecosystem from working
in a MUD environment.

  Scenario 1. Players cannot interact in a meaningful way with the
  ecosystem

    This basically a closed simulation with the players as mere
    passive observers, great if that is what your players like but
    it reduces the significance of the ecosystem to little more than
    eye candy.

  Scenario 2. The players' characters are part of the ecosystem

    Much more interesting but inherently unstable.  The root problem
    here is that your ecosystem is no longer closed, players login
    and logout and new players join the MUD.  The fluctuating number
    of concurrent characters in the game make it impossible for any
    sort of equilibrium to be reached.

An interesting question is how one could model evolution and natural
selection in such an environment.