[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Oct 4 12:14:46 CEST 2001

From: Brian Hook [mailto:bwh at wksoftware.com]
> At 12:04 PM 10/2/01 +0200, Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt wrote:

>> The problems that might arise from 'single, flexible character'
>> design is that every character in the game ends up exactly the
>> same.

> This is a very legitimate concern.  The key is that you need to
> avoid "convenient generalization".  I'm fine with characters with
> similar skill sets, so another differentiating factor needs to be
> present -- ideally, one with a high cost (in time or resources) of
> change.  In our case, the character's spaceship is going to be
> this differentiating factor.  Changing spaceships will not be a
> convenient or cost-effective operation, however it isn't so high
> as to be impossible.

> In addition, we're toying with the idea of having some skills
> selectively degrade, because my only real concern is that everyone
> will power up all skills in all dimensions and then just change
> "careers" whenever they feel like it.  There is a cost to this,
> but it may not be enough to dissuade players from doing it
> nonetheless.

Surely you just limit the total number of skill points they can
have, and allow them to move then between skills if they need to
change career. If its not an instant process (i.e. takes a week or
two real time) then they won't be able to abuse the system. Taking
things away through atrophy really annoys me in games.

>> (who want to be a barge pilot, if you can be a crack-shot fighter
>> ace?).

> Who wants to be a cleric when you can make the fireball slinging
> mage?  Obviously, not everyone, but those styles of play
> definitely appeal to many.

Dan