[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Oct 3 10:41:18 CEST 2001

From: Steve (Bloo) Daniels [mailto:sdaniels at playnet.com]
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> One thing thats struck me with VoIP (voice over IP) is that the
>> most efficient implementation would probably be point to point
>> between the players. I'm just unsure whether handing out other
>> players IPs is safe practise. I can just see the 3l!t3 HaX0rz
>> building lists of people to try and hack using this
>> info. Actually routing it all through your game servers is just
>> too expensive I'd guess. Maybe you could have a premium
>> subscription to cover the cost.

> Um, you've heard of Roger Wilco, I hope?

> Since GameSpy got a hold of it from HearMe's Mplayer division
> (formerly MPath), they've implemented channel names which obscures
> the host's IP.  A host can name a channel and choose to display
> that name publicly, and can still use a password.

I am familiar with it, although I confess I've never got further
with speech software than buying a Microsoft Game Voice which
collects dust on the floor (it wasn't stable).

How does Roger Wilco do the comms if it is obscuring the channel
name/ip? I assume it has to route eveything through a central
server, otherwise whats to stop you running netstat on your pc and
seeing who you are connected to?

Dan