[MUD-Dev] Geometric content generation

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Tue Oct 2 21:30:29 CEST 2001

At 12:04 PM 10/2/01 +0200, Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt wrote:

> The problems that might arise from 'single, flexible character'
> design is that every character in the game ends up exactly the
> same.

This is a very legitimate concern.  The key is that you need to
avoid "convenient generalization".  I'm fine with characters with
similar skill sets, so another differentiating factor needs to be
present -- ideally, one with a high cost (in time or resources) of
change.  In our case, the character's spaceship is going to be this
differentiating factor.  Changing spaceships will not be a
convenient or cost-effective operation, however it isn't so high as
to be impossible.

In addition, we're toying with the idea of having some skills
selectively degrade, because my only real concern is that everyone
will power up all skills in all dimensions and then just change
"careers" whenever they feel like it.  There is a cost to this, but
it may not be enough to dissuade players from doing it nonetheless.

> (who want to be a barge pilot, if you can be a crack-shot fighter
> ace?).

Who wants to be a cleric when you can make the fireball slinging
mage?  Obviously, not everyone, but those styles of play definitely
appeal to many.

Brian