[MUD-Dev] Request for ideas

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue Oct 2 11:44:46 CEST 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Timothy Dang wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:
>> From: "Jon Leonard" <jleonard at slimy.com>

>>>   * Economic-based games, where players control businesses, hire
>>>   employees, consume resources for sale and profit.  In a MUD
>>>   this has the unique potential of having the contracts actually
>>>   enforced by the game.  (This has side effects as well...  What
>>>   to do about illegal contracts, or players who can't meet
>>>   contractual obligations?)

>> Game enforced contracts...  Hmm...

>> I am drawing something of a blank on what the game could enforce,
>> beyond "I will buy X item."  Care to expand?

> A couple times I've considered a kind of contract scripting
> language. The contract could specify that:

>   if Bubba gives Boffo 1 Hammer of Bashing before midnight, Nov. 15
>   {
>     if Boffo gives Bubba 1000gp before midnight, Nov. 30
>     {
>       contract fulfilled
>     }
>     else
>     {
>       blacklist Boffo
>     }
>   }

Neat, this would also cover bets;

   if it rains before midnight, Nov. 30
   {
      Bubba gives Boffo 10 gold
   }else{
      Buffo gives Bubba 10 gold
   }

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|