[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Tue Oct 2 10:07:10 CEST 2001

According to John Buehler:

> Task switching is one approach, which Asheron's Call permits.
> Note that AC Explorer, a sort of electronic Fodor's for Dereth, is
> not a browser-based application.  It is custom-built for the
> problem that it solves.  Why not integrate that into Asheron's
> Call?  Task

It's already done, of course.

AC's "Decal" system lets you integrate things into the game proper,
and one of the things done is DPS (Dereth Positioning System), which
acts exactly like AC Explorer, but in game and without the map.

> results.  I switch out to check on the Asheron's Call Bestiary all
> the time.  Why isn't that integrated into the game?  In the very

Same. I don't use it, but a friend does.

> least, why aren't hooks available from the Asheron's Call code
> that permits players to hook information sources into the game?
> That

In Asheron's Call, there are. Some of the most popular Decal plugins
have had slowly their effect duplicated by the game interface (the
component buyer, the enchantment timer, the corpse locator), but the
hooks are in.

> Anyway, I see the game itself being the focus of activity, and
> switching to other mechanisms is currently a necessary evil.  I'd

I used to switch out of AC a lot when the game came out. I don't do
that much these days; there's even an ICQ client integrated directly
into the game.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)