[MUD-Dev] Request for ideas

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 08:07:16 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Stevens" <listsub at wickedgrey.com>

>>   * Economic-based games, where players control businesses, hire
>>   employees, consume resources for sale and profit.  In a MUD
>>   this has the unique potential of having the contracts actually
>>   enforced by the game.  (This has side effects as well...  What
>>   to do about illegal contracts, or players who can't meet
>>   contractual obligations?)

> Hmm.  What kind of context would you see the economy taking place
> in?  What would be the shape of the world around the merchants
> that would give value to what they were selling?  It could be as
> simple as NPC purchasing prices fluctuating, but that seems a bit
> flat and uninteresting.  Am I missing something, or would it
> almost require a full world to integrate the economy into?

For an example of an economy based game that appears to be proving
popular, I suggest taking a look at http://www.ngame.com and their
"Merchant Princes" title. Unfortunately, being of the
non-mobile-phoned class (i.e. I still retain the ability to organize
things in advance, unlike the vast majority of europeans these days
;P) I haven't had the chance to actually try the game out. By all
accounts, it may only be a simplified Elite.

Adam M