[MUD-Dev] in-game vs web-based boards (was: Geometric content generation)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Oct 1 10:44:46 CEST 2001

> From: John Buehler [mailto:johnbue at msn.com]

> Further, player community supported through the game should not be
> limited to an either/or situation.  While I'm in the game, I
> should have full access to player community features, including
> topical or group chats, etc.  Hopefully, actual voice
> interactions, as with a conference call.  All through the game
> software.

You can get that by not prohibiting task switching. To actually put
a browser in game might be overkill, but I guess its possible.

One thing thats struck me with VoIP (voice over IP) is that the most
efficient implementation would probably be point to point between
the players. I'm just unsure whether handing out other players IPs
is safe practise. I can just see the 3l!t3 HaX0rz building lists of
people to try and hack using this info. Actually routing it all
through your game servers is just too expensive I'd guess. Maybe you
could have a premium subscription to cover the cost.

Personally, I'm not sure I want voice comms in games. My computers
are in the living room, and if I was to talk to them, I think my
girlfriend would probably kill me ;)

Dan