[MUD-Dev] New laws. (was: Player Manipulation of Environment)

Paul Schwanz paul.schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Nov 30 10:32:14 CET 2001

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> With hundreds or even thousands of actors you have not only a
>> logistical nightmare to tell the story, you also have a situation
>> where each player does not have the proper distance to the events
>> to "grasp" what is going on with the story.

> This is very true. I totally agree. The logistics to pull off
> telling a single story involving everybody is not easily
> accomplished. On the other hand, 'logistical nightmares' are often
> successfully left to computers.

So far, computers seem very inadequate to tell stories at all.
Expecting a computer to tell a story that involves thousands of
participants seems pretty optimistic, even in light of their ability
to solve logistical nightmares.  In other words, it seems that the
marriage of this particular logistical nightmare to storytelling
makes it a uniquely difficult task for humans and computers alike.
Perhaps there is some way to have them work together to solve the
problem, but I'm having difficulty imagining how that would work.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but I'd sure like to hear someone
else give practical examples about how it might be accomplished.

--Phinehas