[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Fri Nov 30 08:19:03 CET 2001

Paul Schwanz posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 4:06 PM

> In any case, I don't really see anything here that compells me to
> believe that MMORPGs should imitate PnP, and I thought that was
> the point of the original post.

This whole thread started after it was stated that role-playing
games were considered dead (in whatever context).  Then it was
argued that role-playing games are only played by deeply insular
groups.  That is, as a market, as an industry, PnP RPGs are not an
important factor to learn from, utilize, etc., in the development of
other non-Pnp games.

My argument is that role-playing games ARE significant experience
that developers would find extremely useful in game
development. This is not the same as saying that one should imitate
the other.  But if you're already doing the imitating, you sure as
heck should know what you're copying.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien