[MUD-Dev] RE:

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Nov 23 21:03:35 CET 2001

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Tue 20 Nov, Jeff Cole wrote:
> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

>> Do interactive games have the ability to impact players?
>> Absolutely.  And far more significantly than movies, books and
>> cartoons.

> If that is indeed true about books, then that is a rather damning
> indictment of contemporary culture rather than a crowning
> achievement for interactive games.

Perhaps it should have read "the potential". Certainly games in
their current state are nowhere near as profound as even a me-
diocre book.  But games, especially multiplayer games, have by their
very nature the potential to engross their reader, but to totally
absorb them.  The player literally becomes the hero of the story.  I
have had the luck to be able to "walk" through a virtual reality of
several building designs, including my own.  It makes a profound
difference to stand inside those rooms even with the crude images
that were available inside that helmet.  Certainly the computers
could generate much nicer pictures than I could see in that virtual
reality, but the feeling of standing inside that building and
walking, well floating actually, through it was much more enlighting
than any number of pictures could ever be.  That to me is the
difference between books and games.  Right now the games are like
those computer pictures.  Nice, but nothing different from the
drawings we have made for decades. However they have the potential
to become that virtual reality walk through our own designs, if we
only can figure out how to do it.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,