[MUD-Dev] Role-Playing Games Are Not Dead

Leland Hulbert II lhulbert at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 08:29:27 CET 2001

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric <jonric at vaultnetwork.com> wrote:

> Somewhat more to the point, as someone with a decade of marketing
> management experience in a previous career, I'd say the assumption
> that the total universe of CRPG gamers equals the number who
> purchased a top-selling title is questionable in the extreme.  It
> ignores those who bought it second-hand, traded for it, borrowed
> it, pirated it, and probably some others as well.

However, second hand, traded, and stolen copies of a game don't make
money.  True, an online game is often subscription based, and you
can't effectively second-hand an account, since you pay the
subsricption.  But I would guess that any gamers who were willing to
get second-hand or pirated versions of what many called "the best
game of the year" just because it saved them some money aren't
likely to be paying for a subscription, either.

An money is where it really counts.

Lee