[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Koster Koster
Sat Nov 10 23:00:42 CET 2001

Well, I'm pretty sure that yet another "let's play tabletop over a
chat system" idea wasn't going to either. It's not like this hasn't
been tried umpteen gazillion times already. We have the
technology. We can (re) build it. And if you build it, they will
come--the same small group of tabletop RPGHers who have been willing
to give it a whack all along.

Is it just me, or is tabletop RPGing basically dead? A corpse
shambling along without any significant audience growth in a decade,
low revenues (does an AD&D CRPG make more than the AD&D books do? I
have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me), and a terminally geeky
image, and what's worse carried in part by another industry that is
also teetering on bankruptcy, the comic shop.

Don't get me wrong. I have great fondness for tabletop RPGing. I
grew up on them. I love playing them. But I don't see "sweeping
change to the world of online gaming" arising from them. Not from
chat software, and in my cynical moments, not from Neverwinter
Nights either (much as I look forward to that game, and much as I
respect and like the guys making it).

Am I just too cynical at a young age?

-Raph