[MUD-Dev] NPCS

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Wed Nov 7 10:09:23 CET 2001

From: "Mr Dylan Tovey" <s201165 at student.uq.edu.au>

> I study neurobiology and some recent directions have interesting
> implications for defining behavioural traits

> The first things is that the human brain is plastic. That is the
> information we receive after birth has a direct and measurable
> impact on the construction of neuronal pathways.

> Our behaviour is not defined by genetic information (pre-coded
> behaviours) but by the post-natal stereo information we receive
> from our environment. (usually societal culture or family culture)

> Our genetic information defines a set of functional potentialities
> (skills perhaps) for the entire human race.

This will probably be rejected by JC for being off-topic, but I'd
just like to point out that there is a genetic component to
personality, and therefore to at least some types of behavior.

I myself am a practically picture-perfect example.  When I was 18 or
so, I met my biological father for the first time, who had left my
mother before I was born.  Since then, we have become quite close,
and the similarities in our personalities are really quite
extraordinary.  We're both extremely laid back, have the same
deadpan sense of humor (or lack thereof, if you ask my wife) and so
on.

Although I suppose it's possible you could write it all off to
random chance, I really don't think so.

I really don't want to drag this out into a nature-vs-nurture
debate, just wanted to throw in this quick note. :)