[MUD-Dev] Re: Virtual environments for education?

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Tue Nov 6 19:28:42 CET 2001

"Edward Glowacki" <glowack2 at msu.edu> wrote:

> We have a professor that wants to create an online virtual
> environment for her students.

> The goal a place where students are free to express themselves, be
> creative, share their ideas, and work on projects together.  It
> should also be "By the students, for the students."

> What I'm looking for (and hope that the MUD-Dev community can help
> with) is:

>   - Examples of systems that do some or all of these things

>   - Suggestions or experiences with using an online environment
>   for shared learning.

Furcadia does a lot of the things that were on your checklist of
features.  Not 100%, but probably more than most.  You can check it
out at www.furcadia.com if you like.  Our Community Director has a
background in early childhood education, she might like to offer you
more suggestions.  I'm forwarding a copy of your email to her.

Best of luck with your project.  :X) You might also think about
contacting Sandy Stone, who's done work on this sort of thing at the
University of Texas here in Austin.  Her home page is
http://sandystone.com/ - definitely a colorful person.