[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu May 31 16:17:38 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin Doughtie <gavin at well.com>

> The demo I saw at E3 had a C-like scripting language with lots of
> form-based script builder tools atop it. I also asked about
> licensing, and it sounded like Bioware doesn't want you to make
> money selling your worlds/expansions/levels. I would guess that
> means that you can't charge to let people play in your dungeon
> either.

> On an unrelated note, they don't have a first-person view either. I
> find this to be disappointing, as I get a big cognitive thrill from
> "looking out the eyes of" my avatar.

Well, *what* you can script is pretty limited too.  You can create
content within certain limits, but as near as I can tell you cannot
add graphical assets, nor can you make any significant change to the
D&D3E ruleset, or create one of your own.  Contrast this with an FPS
like Tribes, where literally everything up to and including the
physics engine can be over-ridden in scripts, and graphical assets
added.

Where you see those form-based tools, you're looking at hard-coded
aspects of the game that can only be altered in certain ways.

--Dave Rickey