[MUD-Dev] Intellectual Property Lawyer

Steve {Bloo} Daniels bloo at playnet.com
Wed May 30 13:01:40 CEST 2001

Jon Morrow wrote:

> Does anyone here know of or recommend an intellectual property
> lawyer that has detailed knowledge of the MUD industry?  I need them
> to deal with patents, copyrights, trademarks, and other more
> specialized contracts, such as between hired programmers and the
> corporate entity.

Knowledge of the "MUD Industry", which I hesitate to call an
"industry", isn't going to be all that important.  What is important
is some understanding of online gaming, and the relevant law: such as
the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, Digital Millenium
Copyright Act, etc.  For trademark purposes, your lawyer would only
need to understand what the relevant markets are and are not.

Software patents needs a patent lawyer, but MUD knowledge isn't
important their either.  They'll give anything a patent these days, so
just throw it up and see what sticks if you think you've created
something process, procedure or such that you don't want other people
to use for about 20 years.

However, it seems to me that the most important thing you need is a
*contract* lawyer who understands IP law.  Contract usually trumps
ordinary copyright, trademark and patent law.  By that, I mean these
laws are *default* rules.  Parties are free to contract around the
great bulk of these laws.

Because contract law is the key, you need a lawyer in your state.  And
there is nothing special about a contract between programmers and a
corporation.  Just get that "work for hire" clause in there with
regard to copyrights.

I suggest looking for general practice firms in your area that mention
an IP specialty, or those with a focus on the internet (a small though
growing number).

-bloo

Disclaimer: I'm a lawyer but I'm not *your* lawyer.  If you need one
get one.  I don't even practice because game design is better for my
soul.