[MUD-Dev] Virtual Good Value Assertion

Eric Rhea eric at enkanica.com
Wed May 30 08:40:42 CEST 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Eric Rhea wrote:

>> If anyone on the list is currently an admin or has proper access to
>> this kind of data and wouldn't mind trying this out (no logging
>> enabled), feel free to plop out a price check on an item or
>> two. I'd like to know if this algorithm produces results that are
>> inline with what has been shown in your experience. If it
>> calculates a value that is off in left field, a statement as to the
>> system and how far it is off would be immensely helpful.

> I tried using the form, but was unable to. Too many of the questions
> assume specific designs. For instance:

Specific designs that attempt to give one a generalized answer. I'd
like it to be more of something along the lines of generalized design
to give one a specific answer, except that is much more difficult to
do :)

>   Time interval: This would make no difference in Achaea as there's
>   no global cycle.

Yes, that pretty much fubars things. I was relying fairly heavily on
the internal time clock.

>   Item decay rate: It's a fairly meaningless stat that varies
>   dramatically due to some of our game systems.

The same object can have multiple and different decomposition rates?
Even then, a mean of those rates might work. Hmm.

>   Item Displacement: I don't even know how I'd answer that.

Informed intuition? :) This bundles in with the calculation for decay
rates. My estimate was about once a month, or about once every 720
hours.

>   Player skill points total: Meaningless in the way you're using
>   them, as applies to Achaea at least.  > Item Spawn time: Not
>   really relevant as almost no items are gained by "spawning".

I see that I'm going to be spending some time in Achaea in the near
future. Thanks for the info.

	-Eric