[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Jessica Mulligan jessica at mm3d.com
Fri May 25 08:41:34 CEST 2001

At 12:12 AM 25/5/01 -0700, jfreeman at verant.com wrote:
>>> From: Jake Song [mailto:jake at ncinteractive.com]

>>> subscribe   v.intr. [from dictionary.com]

>>> 1. To contract to receive and pay for a certain number of issues
>>> of a publication, for tickets to a series of events or
>>> performances, or for a utility service, for example.

>>> I think the current users playing Lineage at Game Rooms completely
>>> matches the definition of subscribe(r).

>> *boggle*.

I have to agree here.  In the Internet cafes/Game Rooms pay NCSoft for
the accounts and control access to those accounts, they are the
subscribers, not the individual players within those establishments
who pay the Rooms to play.  It is not as fine a distinction as it
looks; one has to ask, "If the Game Rooms cancelled their
subscriptions to Lineage tomorrow, would the players a) have the
technology at home to sign-up their own accounts and b) the
willingness to do so?"

Right now, NCSoft has a system that works and works well for them, in
Korea.  Kinda hard to argue with success, <g>.

-Jess

Biting the Hand
http://www.skotos.net/articles/bth.html