[MUD-Dev] business models

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Wed May 23 16:34:14 CEST 2001

According to Koster, Raph:

> Er, by definition on day one you get near 100% of active subscribers
> logging in, no matter where they are. Everyone who buys the game on
> day one logs in on day one... You can spread the time peak around,
> certainly, but over the course of the 24 hours, it's still going to
> be close to every single purchaser.

Yes, but you do not need to have your server able to handle
simultaneously all active subscribers, because they're going to come
and go at staggered intervals. That's what I was trying to say: spread
release allows you to have more subscribers than you have peak
players.

(which is where I think the EQ/AC schemes of non localised servers vs
UO's time-zoned servers is better - from a business PoV, that is)

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!