[MUD-Dev] Outdoor and indoor 3d engines

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 23 09:09:30 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 10:43 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Jeff's Rant: A World Full of Wheel-Makers

I'm sure there are plenty, each with their caveats. Personally I
particularly like Drakan's engine, which not only stitched areas
together with effectively zero load times, but also was NOT BSP based,
so you got to hack things to pieces, damage the landscape, deform
things, etc. But it made areas generally valley-like, with occluded
(behind a door, or in a cave, or obscured by trees, etc) portals to
other areas (so it didn't have to keep rendering through the portals
into the neighbouring areas).

Have a look at:

  http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html

for a good, long (but not complete) list.

Adam M