[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon May 21 21:19:08 CEST 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Jessica Mulligan wrote:

> Bear in mind also that the overwhelming number of Korean players are
> doing so from Internet cafes.  This adds a social element to the
> game that is hard to reproduce in the US, where the norm is a
> subscriber logging in from home.

Avalon used to have something like this, back in the early 90s. It
rented offices (well, an office for awhile, and then flats) where
people could come and pay twice the hourly rate to log in, but with
speedier connections than those modems offered. It kind of worked, and
certainly produced interesting results, though once Avalon went onto
the net in late 1994, hostplay (as it was called) only lasted another
6 months. When most of the players were from London it kind of worked.

Anyway, my point was that it definitely created a different social
atmosphere. It was never a large game, and back then would only have
20 people or so on at a time anyway. But, all the major players knew
each other, and it was PvP, which set up the stage for emotions to run
extremely high.

--matt