[MUD-Dev] Re: Emotional Responses to Traumatic Events

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed May 16 16:06:30 CEST 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Peter Yu wrote:

> So no, the emotional investment in accepting an anonymous phone call
> is not the same as those of playing an online game.  So, yes,
> besides for rape, this could be extended to any other types of
> highly traumatic events. (Which, I suppose, is one reason to argue
> against permenant death of player characters within a game, as
> well.)

This is a bit macabre to bring up I suppose, but I have to say that I
consider it a Good Thing that people have such an emotional investment
in muds that virtual rape bothers them so much. I'd be disturbed if it
didn't, particularly as I don't recognize a fundamental difference
between virtual worlds and the physical world.

--matt