[MUD-Dev] [OT] Will this list survive?

Taylor taylor at taylor.org
Tue May 15 15:54:25 CEST 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> Something that I've been wondering is whether or not this list can
> survive?  Once Star Wars Online, DAoC and other mass market games
> hit retail, I can't help but wonder whether or not there will be a
> player invasion if they think they can directly get the ear of the
> developers. In some ways, I've considered it fortunate that the EQ
> team don't have a particularly conspicious presence for that exact
> reason. It would be a huge loss if people had to stop posting as
> their games went live. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded?

I'm pretty much a lurker on this list. I'm on it because I'm trying to
move from being in the web industry to the game industry. This is list
is a source of inspiration and a good way to learn about the art,
science, and business of running a MUD/PSW/MMORPG (etc....). I learn a
lot from it.

But as a casual player who may be interested in the mechanics of how
the game works, the deep mechanics not just the gameplay rules, this
list would probably bore them to tears. And the designers seem to be
quite active on official game boards, so given the choice I don't see
a big influx coming over here to learn about OO design, or to
participate in a discussion about the theoretical advantages of
realistic travel time.

This list is a very narrow brand of geeky. Plus it takes some digging
to find, which is good.

--
Taylor                                 log: http://www.captaincursor.com/
taylor at taylor.org

 "Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us
 as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room, munching magic
 pills and listening to repetitive music." - Dylan Davis