[MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Mon May 14 20:02:47 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Stuart" <srstuart at bigfoot.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 2:46 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

> I'm one of the administrators of a hard-core MUD, and we've
> currently got a serious situation we're not sure how to handle.

> We recently had a player report that he received an anonymous death
> threat by email from another player. The threat was regarding game
> issues, yet not only the character's life was threatened, but also
> the player's life (as well as his car, house and computer). The
> sender of the threat found this person's email address (which isn't
> published anywhere in the game) and sent an anonymous email, taking
> steps to hide his/her identity.

> We do have suspicions as to who might have sent the threat; the
> style of writing is similar to that of notes posted on bulletin
> boards by our suspect, and our suspect has since PK'd this
> player. On the other hand, one of our admins thinks the message
> might have been faked by the recipient.

> We are taking it very seriously, but we're just not sure how to
> handle it. Have any of you ever dealt with a similar situation?

Keep any and all logs you currently have. Make sure you log everything
that both of those characters do [if you're not already logging
it]. Also, if you have the capability, log everything anyone from
those sites do. Keep copies of those posted notes [in case they can be
removed or culled over time].

As others have said, tell the person to contact the police. Do not try
to mediate a real life death threat, you don't have the capability or
want to assume the liability for it.