[MUD-Dev] Locations vs Social Spaces (was: I Want to Forge Swords)

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Mon May 14 15:09:44 CEST 2001

At 02:21 PM 5/13/01 +0800, Alex wrote:

> Now imagine if this had been the case originally and every city in
> the old world had as rich an environment surrounding it. I think
> then having a siginificant travel time between cities would be much
> less of a burden and more of a feature since it wouldn't be seen as
> a requirement.

Other than you can't play with your friends early on.  This was
probably one of my most significant complaints with EQ very early on
(before taxi-cab teleportals were all the vogue).  By choosing what
class/race you wanted to be, you were then forced into a geographical
situation where you would not be able to adventure with your friends
who were similarly low-level.

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways: sometimes a player has a
very legitimate reason to travel from one place to another that has
nothing to do with power or adventuring (e.g. to find a friend that
purchased the game with you at EB and now you two want to figure it
out together).  Other times the reason you want to travel is because
you have a new low-level character you want twinked.

And there's no way for a coder to really understand "intent" of a
user's actions.  You can infer as much as you can, but in the end
you're not going write a function that is psychic.

Brian Hook