[MUD-Dev] [MUD-Dev][DGN] encouraging quick-start community for newbies

Scion Altera keeler at teleport.com
Mon May 14 01:49:24 CEST 2001

Friday, May 11, 2001, 2:00:25 AM, Adam Martin wrote:

*snipped background info*

> Phew....after all that backgroud :)... the idea is that when a new
> player starts the game, the last part of the generation process is
> for the server to select say 5 random other people who have recently
> started similar characters (if you have professions/initial skill
> sets/player races), and to give all 6 of them very easy means of
> intercommunication (even as far as to be totally OOC - say, a
> mini-portrait of the person, plus an arrow pointing to where they
> are, and allow global communication) until they reach a certain
> stage of advancement (perhaps until they have completed 3 beginner
> quests or something?).

> Sort of newbie-ing by team, until they at least know enough of the
> game world to be able to start asking experienced players sensible
> questions.

That's a very cool idea, and not one I had considered before. Reading
your post the first time, I assumed you were going to pair up each
newbie with a high level player who had volunteered to be a guide, or
somesuch.. that also seems to be a feasible way to go about it.

Naturally, this is also a fantastic argument for a "training area" of
some sort for new players to figure out what's going on, as well as
adequate documentation and help files... but I can definitely see
value in the game "introducing" me to several other new players to get
me started. After all, why would I be playing a multiplayer online
game if I didn't want to meet the other people on it?

-- Scion

"Life is an aimless drive that you take alone. Might as well enjoy the
ride, take the long way home." -- Bloodhound Gang

-- keeler at teleport.com -- peter.keeler at brokat.com -- ICQ: 1824934 --