[MUD-Dev] Locations vs Social Spaces (was: I Want to Forge Swords)

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Sun May 13 14:21:06 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----

Your last point is what I see as important, Paris and London are
different.  In EQ for example travel has been made so easy,
particularly in the high level game, that there is little difference
or perhaps a better word is 'culture' for any particular area. But
what has happened is a different culture has developed on each server,
at least within the confines of the game itself.

Now look at Kunark, the zones are significantly larger than those in
the old world obviously making travel longer (even for those with
teleport ability).  However, if you play an Iksar you now have a very
rich environment within one to two zones of your home city reducing
the need to travel between zones by a significant amount over what was
originally required (The little mini-dungeons and other hidden
features are quite extensive).

Now imagine if this had been the case originally and every city in the
old world had as rich an environment surrounding it. I think then
having a siginificant travel time between cities would be much less of
a burden and more of a feature since it wouldn't be seen as a
requirement. The added benefit to those that like to explore is that
they can feel simply travelling from one city/location to another is a
reward in and of itself due to the investment involved. Also make the
journey enjoyable with plenty of interesting distractions along the
way (and no, that doesn't mean lots of killer mobs!).

Boat travel is a bit different though, and making it enjoyable I can
see is much different. I would suggest putting distractions on the
ship to occupy the travellers (games/gambling anyone?) as long as it
is made obvious when it arives at and departs from a dock!

Alex