[MUD-Dev] [OT] Taking things too far.

Scott Stuart srstuart at bigfoot.com
Sun May 13 02:46:05 CEST 2001

I'm one of the administrators of a hard-core MUD, and we've currently
got a serious situation we're not sure how to handle.

We recently had a player report that he received an anonymous death
threat by email from another player. The threat was regarding game
issues, yet not only the character's life was threatened, but also the
player's life (as well as his car, house and computer). The sender of
the threat found this person's email address (which isn't published
anywhere in the game) and sent an anonymous email, taking steps to
hide his/her identity.

We do have suspicions as to who might have sent the threat; the style
of writing is similar to that of notes posted on bulletin boards by
our suspect, and our suspect has since PK'd this player. On the other
hand, one of our admins thinks the message might have been faked by
the recipient.

We are taking it very seriously, but we're just not sure how to handle
it. Have any of you ever dealt with a similar situation?

SRS