[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game

Luke Carruthers luke at hiddensignal.com
Thu May 10 20:50:20 CEST 2001

Jeff Freeman said:

> Going back to the community-building game, it might be interesting
> to have players choose a starting estate rather than a starting
> character. The Estate would come with a number of characters,
> adventuring-types among them, and the player could play any of the
> characters in their estate (though not all at the same time). In
> that model, the tailor shop might come with a spinner, tanner,
> hunter, seamstress, etc. (the tailor shop itself just being one
> building in the estate, that is).

Would this lead to a lessening of player's identification with their
character though? (And, is that a bad thing?)

In many games, players already seem to have a lot of characters, and
still to be attached to at least some of them, so maybe this sort of
approach won't lead to less identification. It does seem to me though
to be going down the continuum towards strategy gaming, where you have
resources (your warrior, your tailor, etc) instead of avatars.

If player's identify less with their characters, are they less likely
to form such strong emotional ties to a game? Will it have less impact
for them, and will it be easier for them to leave? Will it encourage a
GoP approach to play? Or will they identify less, but be able to do
more, and so still enjoy as much (if not more)?

Luke