[MUD-Dev] [OT] Re-releasing old games w/ new graphics

Derek Snider derek at idirect.com
Thu May 10 13:20:07 CEST 2001

Personally I think re-releasing a great old game with a modern engine
(graphics, sound, etc) is an excellent idea, and opportunity for a
company to introduce an old game to a new crowd, and also to bring
back an old game to its original fans.  Basically you already have a
guaranteed sell to the people who originally loved the game.

The movie industry often does a "remake" of an old film.  Hollywood is
still making remakes of age-old stories.  Very few of Disney's films
are original ideas.  Their most successful films were based on well
known fairy-tales, and their movies will continue to be sold for many
years to come as new children enter the world.

How many people are going to refuse to buy a new game because it is
"just a remake" of an old game they never played?  Certainly n obody I
know.

If Ultima Underworld I & II were re-released with a modern 3D engine,
I'd buy them the day they were released.