[MUD-Dev] Immersiveness - good or bad?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed May 9 09:46:50 CEST 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Consumer tasks are useful because they ensure that we, as members of
> a community, sate our desire for our personal desires.  Excessive
> need for personal desires is not a Good Thing, and immersing one's
> self in an electronic game for hours on end is an excessive need for
> a personal desire.  Just like an addiction to a drug sates a need
> for a personal desire, and is not a Good Thing.

I personally can't imagine the point in doing anything that isn't a
personal desire. I don't believe it's even possible. Mother Theresa
had a personal desire to help other people. She presumably felt quite
good about it. Some people presumably feel quite good about playing
games. I don't see a fundamental difference.

I completely reject the notion that I exist to serve anyone or any
group of beings or things. My gratification is of the utmost
importance in existence which is, of course, my creation anyway.

I realize you probably disagree, but I feel the need to chime in
whenever anyone starts throwing about the idea of universal/objective
morality.

--matt