[MUD-Dev] Innovation restrictions (was: Information sharing)

Koster Koster
Tue May 8 20:30:20 CEST 2001

There is some of this going on. For recent examples:

  - many of the announced Gameboy Advance titles are actually ports of
  the original SNES titles.

  - most "classic game updates" like Centipede 3d and the like include
  the original game intact, sometimes as an Easter egg, often with
  updated graphics. A good example I recently picked up was Q*Bert for
  the Dreamcast.

  - there are often fan efforts to redo classic titles that are no
  longer available. I know of an Ultima I and an Ultima III, Drol, and
  an Archon effort (that I am very much looking forward to, they even
  got the original data sets from Jon Freeman).

ObRelevantComment...

I would love to redo LegendMUD with graphics someday, because I think
that some aspects of the gameplay would come as a real surprise to
players used to EQ; on the other hand, I don't actually think the
technology is up to it in some ways...!

-Raph