[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon May 7 15:43:14 CEST 2001

Adam Martin writes:

> [...]

I'm trying to pursue a recipe where players are willing to suspend
their disbelief, enjoy the entertainment that the game offers and then
go on their way.  I believe that part of this is to remind them gently
every now and again that they are playing a game.  A very complex,
intricate and entertaining one.

When players get seriously drawn into the game - that is, they become
immersed - they lose track of time, they place more emphasis on their
game actions than their real world actions, etc.  It's a recipe for
disaster.  How many people are immersed in Soap Operas and reduce the
time they actually spend living their own lives?  Trying to live one's
life can be difficult.  Having somebody else's life to live only
reduces the impetus to try.

I'll be truly thrilled if I'm proven wrong that immersion is a Bad
Thing.

JB