[MUD-Dev] Innovation restrictions (was: Information sharing)

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.net
Mon May 7 12:02:02 CEST 2001

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Greg Munt wrote:

> Yet another thing that slows innovation, perhaps. Players don't want
> it.

> Or, at least, players are unwilling/unready to accept big changes to
> something that they already use. Innovation has to be presented as a
> completely new game.

Well, I've just left my long time position as head coder of Duris
DikuMUD not in small part due to the innate reaction players seem to
have to change nowadays.

Perhaps I'm being too ... nostalgic, but I think that a few years ago,
most players actually liked new and different things, whereas at least
in the Duris playerbase (and many others that I've observed, albeit at
a surface level) people are so resistant to change that they will
practically revolt.

Another interesting observation is that in my experience, players try
to shoehorn new and different things into terms they understand.  When
you change something old into something new, they will force the new
features or innovations into the old box, and in the long run not
experience the whole of whatever it is that you added.

Just my $0.02.

Jeremy