[MUD-Dev] Information sharing (was: Re: Where are we now?)

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Sat May 5 16:05:46 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> As much as I enjoyed Raph and Rich's presentation, they weren't
> saying anything new. I didn't hear a single speaker talk about
> anything new he/she is working on in any substantive way.

While I missed the presentation in question and have no experience as
a game developer, even an amateur, my eclectic background does include
stints in a few educational capacities.  I would suggest that
education is about sharing information that's already known.  The
important part is not that the information is new in an absolute
sense, but that it is new to at least some of the audience so that the
population of people who now share that knowledge is increased.

And without refuting Matt's point in any way, I would further suggest
that the sharing of such information, albeit it's not new to everyone,
is still very much needed for online gaming to achieve its full
potential for growth.

Richard Aihoshi - "Jonric"
RPG Vault, IGN Vault Network