[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Wed May 2 01:14:34 CEST 2001

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> Virtually nobody is releasing source code for high-performance TCP
> network servers where the socket STAYS OPEN for extended periods of
> time. There are web servers which support HTTP 1.1 keepalive, but
> that's not quite the same thing. I've found many clients which do
> this, but no servers to speak of. I don't think I'm smart enough to
> design one, so I'm just sort of faking it. ;)

Well, most of the work to date has been in how to manage thousands of
active connections at any given time.  The approaches used there don't
necessarily need to change just because the connections are
longer-lived than would be typical for a web server.  Sure, some work
has been on dealing with many rapidly opening/closing connections
.. but a lot of it hasn't been and is more generally applicable.

Also, if FTP counts as something with longer-lived connections, look
around for hoser-ftpd, which I think was by Zack (or Zach) Brown.  If
I recall correctly, that was using some of the asynch signal stuff on
Linux, but I'm too lazy to go and look at the c10k page myself to find
out for sure.

  - Bruce