[MUD-Dev] RE: www.innbetweenworlds.com (was: Mud Timeline)

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 30 22:44:24 CEST 2001

Klimon, Ian wrote:

> Well, I had just written a few other MUDs out there about setting up
> a website that would be used to promote those MUDs striving for
> commercial quality/commercial success.  (Achaea, Avalon,
> WinterReach, Aeternity, etc) I own a url that I thought was pretty
> cool and would fit the bill (www.innbetweenworlds.com) (I know its
> currently a dead link.)  But I would be happy to host development
> resources there, timelines, source code, a group building a next
> generation code base, whatever (the site should be active this
> week).

> The site could also become a resource focused for those interested
> in building MUDs (and a place to gather/chat/store information
> relating to creating MUDs).

> Comments, suggestions?

Hi Ian,

It's been a long time since we've spoken!

I was curious as to how this site of yours would distinguish and
differentiate itself from some of the extant resources such as
MUD-Dev, MERA, Raph's homepage, some aspects of Pan (once that is
rolling), and even Imaginary Realities?  (And I'm sure that I am
missing many others, but that's a nice sampling to get started with.)
The original goal, to promote a set of commercial muds, isn't
well-served by existing resources very well; but the remainder of the
potential site features seem to be fairly well-addressed already
within the community.

Also, what would the terms and conditions for working with your site be?

Would it host exclusive content such as what Skotos has on their site?

If so, is that something that is really beneficial to the 'industry'
and community surrounding these games, rather than just another way of
driving traffic to one's site to increase the profile of one's own
games?  Or would it be something more like Imaginary Realities where
you still maintain the rights to your writings and are free to
re-publish them elsewhere as you wish?

I have another post that I'm working through on the topic of next
generation codebases (I don't think there are any successful ones
currently or within the last couple of years), but that is a day or
two away yet.

  - Bruce