[MUD-Dev] Business models for commercial text games

Emil Eifrém <emil.eifrem@windh.com> Emil Eifrém <emil.eifrem@windh.com>
Fri Mar 30 22:14:03 CEST 2001

Nathan <nbossett at pierb.com> wrote:

> Credit cards have a significant advantage you haven't mentioned- the
> ability to set up invisibly recurring payments.  Take a look at

>   http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2000/12/19/micropayments.html

> ('The Case Against Micropayments')

> for a discussion of the mental overhead of pressing a 'Charge me $'
> button every so often.  I suspect a lot of the current graphical
> MMORPG subscribers are still customers mainly through inertia- if
> they actually had to set up a payment every month, they might walk.

Very good point. I guess batch payments ("pay for 6 months and get the
last month for free") fill the same purpose. Another big advantage of
recurring payments and batches are that they give you some regularity
in your income projections, which can be nice if you'd like to avoid
the situation where you can't pay your rent because too few players
bought +9 +9 swords this month. :)

-EE [emil at eifrem.com]