[MUD-Dev] Movies bigger than games? (was Re: Digital Property Law)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at www.achaea.com
Wed Mar 28 03:53:20 CEST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Koster, Raph wrote:

> [...]

Touche. That is, however, only one product, and the only video game I
can think of that's ever spawned any serious (ie multi-billion) level
of merchandising. Movies, on the other hand, do it pretty regularly.

>>> On a strict profit comparison, movies and games, games are
>>> slightly ahead at the moment.

>> Where did you get those numbers from? I'm not able to find anything
>> about profits, because most of the movie studios aren't public
>> companies. I'm only able to find numbers on gross revenue.

> Movie filming costs are pretty public, actually (they get talked
> about all the time -- "it only cost $117 million to make blah blah
> blah!"). The cost to make a movie is MUCH higher than that to make a
> game. If gross revenue is comparable, then net must be higher for
> games.

I don't see how that logic follows, as I believe the games industrys
gross revenue from games comes from a LOT more games than the movie
industry's box office gross does.

--matt