[MUD-Dev] Concerning Advanced Server designs for MMORPGs

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Mon Mar 26 22:54:08 CEST 2001

Hello all,

The next generation of MMORPGs are going to have to be significantly
more robust than the ones available today.  From what I can tell, the
complexity of them is increasing faster and faster with each new
release.  No, doubt Anarchy Online takes the graphical versions to a
higher standard, and Horizon's will take the entry level even higher.
All this competition started me to thinking about how the next
generation server should be designed and I found myself staring at the
possibilty of using a messaging server like MSMQ to handle the traffic
of messages on the back end of the system.  Has anyone had experience
using MSMQ or another transaction monitor in their everyday jobs?  If
so please email me so that we can discuss the usage of the server in
an MMORPG.  Between collision detection servers, AI servers, Zone
servers, Scripting servers and a host of other individual servers that
it will take to run an MMORPG that has a chance at competing in the
market, it seems to me that a reliable messaging platform would be in
order(please no flames on the choice of Micro$oft as a reliable
platform).

Feedback and comments would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Derek Licciardi a.k.a. Kressilac
kressilac at home.com